Monday, July 23, 2012

Day 1 (Arrival in London) - July 22, 2012


Once I arrived at Dulles Airport, I had an easy time checking in and getting through the security checkpoint with ease.  It has been a while since I took an international flight and I forgot how speedy and efficient the flight was – my departure time was 9:05pm and we left at 9:05pm.  Upon arrival at Heathrow Airport in London, you could tell that the whole airport was in Olympics mode due to the speedy entry into the U.K. except for the guy Jaime who is from Fairfax County (he was detained by the U.K. customs officials).  He wrote down the wrong information on the extended stay card and got detained in the locked room until he could find the paperwork that had to correct address that we are staying at for 3 weeks…everyone, including the U.K. customs officials had a laugh afterwards and they allowed him to keep the detainment card as a souvenir. 

Once I made through the checkpoint, my cell phone didn’t work even though I set up my international sym-card…thanks Verizon!  I scrambled to find an Internet café so that I could tell Sarah and my parents that I arrived safely; afterwards, it was onto the Underground (subway/metro) for my 1 hour journey into London.  It is much nicer than the DC Metro and/or NYC Subway system!  Once I arrived at my stop in London @ 11:30, I made my way to the Churchill War Rooms where I was to drop off my luggage and meet up with the other NOVA teachers.  Since we weren’t meeting until 1:00, I  had some time to kill so I walked down to 10 Downing Street (this is where the U.K. Prime Minister lives), Westminster Abbey, and over to the British Houses of Parliament and Big Ben to take some photos. 
I meet up with the NOVA teachers @ 1:00 and then we headed over to the Red Lion Inn for some lunch where I had fish and chips.  Due to the crowds upstairs, we made our way to the downstairs seating area and since no one was there, we had some time to get to know each other better while we ate.  Then, we made our way to the River Thames for a 90 minute boat ride tour until the opening banquet started at 5:00.  Below are a few of the sights we saw:
·                        London Eye (36 pods that hold 20+ people in each pod where you can see for 30 miles)
·                       Cleopatra’s Needle (the twin is located in Central Park in NYC)
·                       St. Paul’s Cathedral
·                      Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre (replica only)
·                      The London Bridge and the Tower Bridge (often confused by people to be the London Bridge but that   
              is incorrect.)
·                       Tower of London

When the welcome banquet started, we meet the rest of our party which included 4 teachers from Seattle and 1 teacher each form Kansas and New York.  We were then given a behind the scenes exclusive VIP only tour of the Churchill War Rooms…this is the underground bunker where Churchill and his military cabinet stayed and conducted battle during the Battle of Britain in 1940 for the defense of all of England (otherwise known as the BLITZ to the British).  Once we finished, we had a dinner reception and then got on the coach bus to take us to our living quarters for the next three weeks – Homerton College in Cambridge.  When we arrived, we found out that the WiFi connection didn’t work in our rooms which pretty much ended the long day on a sour note because we hadn’t had Internet connection for almost 24 hours…unheard of in today’s society right??!!  Speaking of our rooms, I am very envious as I’m sure everyone who went to Shepherd will be because the rooms are much nicer than our college days.  I have my own sweet with a personal bathroom, 2 closets with all of the space I could ever need and a huge desk; my bed however is very small and my feet hang off the edge of the bed.  Anyway, needless to say that due to the time change and being in a strange place for the first night, didn’t go to bed until well after 3:30am and woke up around 7:00am but it was a restless sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment