Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Day 11 (Chiselhurst Caves and Dover Castle/Cliffs) - August 1, 2012


Happy Over the Hump day!  In 11 days, I will be on my way home and I can't wait; I miss home!

We began the day very early due to our day trip to Chiselhurst Caves and Dover and we left Homerton at 8:00.  I woke up not in the greatest shape but felt much better than yesterday when I went to bed and I was in good spirits, but as the day went on I felt the effects of being constantly on the go and stuck with a cold!

The first leg of our journey to Chiselhurst Caves was an adventure because our bus driver got us lost.  It took us 2.5 hours to get there instead of 1.5 hours…one of the British guys in our group pulled up GPS on his cell phone and helped the driver get us to our destination (Thanks David Lloyd)!  The Chiselhurst Caves have been used for hundreds of years as a place to grow mushrooms, and most importantly, a shelter for 15,000+ Brits during the bombings by the Germans during the Battle of Britain.  Once we arrived, we had a 2 hour tour of the caves from our guide who was once a little boy who stayed with his family in the caves during the bombings and he took us to some remote/unauthorized caverns deep within Chiselhurst Caves.  At one point, he went too far and realized that only small children could fit into the area, so we turned around and went the long way but the other NOVA teacher Jaime, decided that he would go and crawl on his hands and knees through the small opening.  We thought it was funny but when we called out to him and we got no response, our organizers got nervous but he popped out way ahead of us after we turned around so things were fine.  Our guide even played a joke on us by taking away our lanterns and left us completely in the dark; he then proceeded to come around from behind us to scare us since he had practically grown up in these caves his entire life, he knew were all of the hiding places were.

Next, we boarded back onto the bus and headed for Dover.  I was a little tired/sick so I slept for the rest of the way to Dover – about 1 hour away from the caves.  Once we got to Dover, the weather was ugly and rainy; we were a little disappointed but we carried on.  Jenny, one of the organizers of our trip, at one point worked at the Dover Castle complex so she had been able to organize a behind the scenes tour of the castle from her friend who was our guide. The tour lasted a little over an hour, and he covered over 1000 years of Dover Castle history, ranging from the reign of Henry II, the Medieval times, the American Revolution, French Revolution, and both world wars.  Due to the past hatred of France and Britain, Dover Castle has always been heavily fortified by the British in case of an attack from the French; it is because of this and the fact that the French laid siege to Dover Castel for over a year but failed that Dover has earned the title as “the key to England.”  Also, the area surrounding Dover Castle was heavily bombed by the Germans during the Battle of Britain but was unharmed because Hitler planned to use the Castle as his command headquarters when the Nazis were to invade England – but that never happened. 

After our tour was over, we had 2.5 hours to tour the complex on our own.  I went and did a self-guided tour of the Medieval tunnels underneath the castle complex, toured the castle and went to the top where I had a wonderful look across the English Channel to France, and toured the underground tunnel complex that the Brits created and used as a headquarters during WWII.  Dover Castle was also the spot where the British undertook the withdrawal of British and French from Dunkirk in April/May of 1940 because Dunkirk can be seen across the channel.  What a beautiful view!   Finally, I went to the area of the complex to take a look at the world famous white cliffs of Dover – one of the most beautiful sites I’ve ever seen; however, just as I was about to take some photos of the white cliffs, the batteries died in my camera!  What a bummer…I’m so mad!

When we were finished, we headed back to the bus for our 2 hour or so ride back to Homerton.  We had cold sandwiches and chips for dinner on the bus, but the rest of the ride back, I was miserable due to behind completely exhausted and sick.  After I got back to my room, I took a hot shower, and plan on taking my dear old friend (Nyquil) again tonight.  Hopefully, I will be on my way to recovery tomorrow because I have more planning to do with my group and I want to be better before my day trip on Saturday to Stonehenge and Bath.  

No comments:

Post a Comment