Saturday, August 4, 2012

Day 14 (Bath & Stonehenge) - August 4, 2012


I woke up bright and early to get ready for my day trip to Bath and Stonehenge today at 6:45am.  I had to be at the bus stop by 8:00am so I stopped by the local convenience store to grab a sandwich for breakfast and caught my bus on time.  It took 2 hours to get to Bath; once we got within 15 minutes of Bath, the tour guide notified us and highlighted some of the areas in the valley that we were driving by.  From the bus I saw the town of Bristol and the suspension bridge that connects Bristol to Wales!  After the bus driver dropped us off in Bath, the tour guide gave us a 1.5 hour tour of the city and then set us off own our own for 3 hours before we met back up in downtown Bath to head to Stonehenge.  Here are some of the highlights of our tour guide led Bath tour:
                *Bath was built by the Roman Empire.
                *Every building in the city is built with the same rock from the quarry outside of town.
                *The Roman Spas are located underneath city of bath. 
                *Bath became a popular tourist attraction after the discovery of the hot water spas in Bath and
                  people traveled from all over Europe to the spas so they could be healed of their illnesses.
                *Jane Austen lived in Bath and the area outside Bath (Are you excited yet Sarah??  Haha.)
                *The River Avon flows through the city and in the Celtic language, Avon means river so actually,
                  the river that flows through Bath is called the River River. 

During my free time, I went to taste the hot water from the Roman Spas…it’s not that great!  Also, I went to an Irish pub for lunch and then browsed the shopping area and picked up a few souvenirs; afterwards, I arrived early at the meeting point and stepped into another pub and ended up watching soccer of all things during the Olympics...YUCK!  When I arrived at the meeting point with everyone else, I started talking to a lady on the bus from Australia.  She and I also sat next to each other for the rest of the trip and made the rest of the day fly by.  She is visiting her brother for 5 weeks since in Australia, once you work at the same location for 7 years, you get a fully paid 6 week vacation.  She’s been saving for 2 years for the trip which also included stops in Ireland and France, but doesn’t have to spend any money on accommodations since she is staying with her brother.  He moved from Australia 30 years ago on a one year temporary teaching assignment but ended up getting married to a local girl in Cambridge and he hasn’t left since. 

When we arrived at Stonehenge, it was out in the middle of nowhere.  It was about 45 minutes from Bath.  Our tour guide gave us a 45 minute intro about the history and myths about the origins and purposes of Stonehenge.  Here are some highlights:
                *Over 5,000 years old.
                *Created during the Meolithic and Neolithic eras during the prehistoric culture
                *Stones were pushed by hand from the areas around its present location and the rocks were
                   carved using animal bones.
                *It is aligned with the midsummer sunrise and midwinter sunset but its exact purpose is still a
                  mystery.
                *New archeological discoveries have concluded that it was also a burial ground.

The bus ride back took 2.5 hours and I couldn’t wait to get back to Cambridge because I was starving since it has been almost 9 hours since I ate lunch at the Irish Pub.  I was so hungry that I went to Pizza Hut to get a personal pan pizza for dinner because it was quick.  This isn’t the only time I’ve eaten at an American restaurant since I’ve been in England – I also have eaten and Subway and Burger King, but it’s not the same taste as back in the USA!

No comments:

Post a Comment