Monday, August 6, 2012

Day 15 (Cambridge) - August 5, 2012


I slept in until 10am after my long Saturday of sitting on a tour bus and touring Bath and Stonehenge.  After I cleaned up, I headed to downtown Cambridge to walk the streets, do a little shopping, and tour/take photos of all of the colleges/churches.  Around 12:30, as I was walking down some of the hidden/unknown alleys of town, it started to pour down the rain so I headed to the closest pub that I could find for lunch.  I ended up staying 2 hours because the rain was horrendous; while I was there, I started a new book (The Dream Team) and completed 50% of it by the time that I left.  Will – I highly recommend reading this book; it details the behind the scene battle to organize the team and their internal struggles to come together to win the gold medal in 1992.  Also, it is a very fast and easy read too!  After I left the pub, I followed the canal and watched all of the punting boats take people on a tour of Cambridge; however, instead of getting a tour via the river, I continued to go down the narrow, old streets of Cambridge and take in the sights the good old fashioned way.  I got a wonderful, money shot view of King’s College chapel from the rear of the college. 

By the time that I returned to Homerton, my lodging for the past few weeks, it was close to 5:00.  Once I returned, I started to gather my belongings and come up with a plan to pack up all of my stuff.  What I was really concerned about was getting some of the breakable souvenirs that I bought; what I decided to do what to pack all of them up in my luggage carry on bag so that I can take them back on the plane with me.  Also, due to the fact that I have the space bags, I will easily be able to bring back my clothes with room to spare, and hopefully, I won’t go over the weight limit on Sunday morning at Heathrow Airport when I check in.  At 7:00pm, I met up with everyone at a restaurant and we had dinner to talk about everyone’s weekend and watch the fastest man alive, Bolt, win another gold medal.

No comments:

Post a Comment