Friday, August 10, 2012

Day 19-20 (Overnight in the AAM at Duxford with the UK Students) - August 9-10, 2012


Everyone began the day talking in the taxi on the way to Duxford how tired we were and we knew how long the day/evening would be; regardless though, we were excited for the students because that’s what this whole trip has been about.  For my final group lesson, we conducted an escape and evade lesson on the air base that surrounded actual tactics that the RAF and US forces used to train their pilots during WWII.  We provided the students with a map of the base, clues to the safe house, and a phrase in German that the students had to say upon reaching the safe house.  Throughout the activity, we had teachers placed at various places around the airbase and if they went up to a student and spoke English, they were caught. 

After the day was over, the students were split into groups for the craft activity, which they needed to complete for tonight’s spy hunt inside the American Air Museum, and time to shop in the gift shop.  While all of that was going on, myself and three other teachers were at the opposite end of the airbase setting up for the softball and volleyball games.  It has been a long time since I worked for Parks & Recreation in Loudoun but I quickly got back into the teaching mode of athletics.  Trying to explain and teach the UK students how to play softball, swing a bat, and catch/throw was a huge challenge but it was fun also.  The girls of course did not like the fact that they had to put the sweaty boys glove on to play and most of the girls just sat in the outfield, but overall it was a great experience for them but also for me as well.  For myself, it was a great cultural experience to come to the UK and teach the students a sport that they have never played before (now I know how Aaron has felt after his many trips to the Bahamas to teach sports to the under privileged). 

Once the game was over and we cleaned up the field it was time for the evening BBQ…oh how I miss BBQs back home.  First of all, we actually have plates to put our food on (someone forgot to order plates for 65 plus people for the BBQ to eat our dinner), and it reminded me of people who make all of those West Virginia jokes!!  Haha.  Also, the food over here isn’t what I have been accustomed to for my entire life and I can’t wait to come back home.  Food withstanding though, there isn’t another place on the planet that I would ever want to live besides the good old U-S-A!!  Next, we headed to the Astra Cinema to watch the films that the students made this past week and I can’t wait to get back to work because I am going to access the work and show it to my students once I start teaching the WWII unit.  The kids put in a ton of work for only 2 minutes of work but they were very excited and it was a memorable moment for them.  Following their films, we watched a Daffy Duck Cartoon from the 1940s before we watched the main feature – The Memphis Belle.  It was funny watching the movie because, even though I’ve seen it a dozen times or so (and it sits on my DVD shelf), I had a new excitement about the movie because I’ve been here in Duxford for 3 weeks and have gotten to know the base very well; watching a movie that was filmed in the place that I’ve been was pretty awesome for not just me but the other US teachers too!

After the movie, we walked back to the AAM and it was dark by this time; upon our arrival, seeing the museum lit up from the outside was a fabulous view that only the museum staff gets to experience!  We then set about preparing for the museum spy hunt; I played a Nazi guard who periodically checked the students ID badges they created earlier in the day as the scattered throughout the museum searching for clues to complete their mission that they were given.  To complete this spy hunt, it was done in the pitch dark throughout the museum, and the students only had their torches (flashlights) to complete it – talk about an awesome sight throughout the entire museum seeing 45 lights run around the museum in the dark was very memorable.  Another bonus to this being in the dark was that we were able to scare the crap out of many of the students because they didn’t see us  - the girls freaked out the most when I came from behind the wheel of the B-17 bomber and started screaming at them in German asking to check their IDs.  The spy hunt took longer than we expected for the students to complete; the coordinators only scheduled an hour and a half but it took more like 3 hours for the students to complete it.  IT was fun nonetheless! 

Once the spy hunt was over, it was after 1:00am; some students chose to do the astronomy walk outside while others chose to prepare for bed.  All in all, it was a successful day/night but everyone was exhausted.  The girls were placed on one side of the museum and the boys were placed on the other; the teachers were spread out over the museum as well.  Myself and one other male teacher, Nick, slept next to the B-17 which separated the girls from the boys and we acted as an intermediary in case some of the students decided to try to be sneaky, but thankfully that didn’t happen.  They were exhausted, plus I was awake most of the night due to the cot I slept on and being extra cautious.  I finally went to bed close to 3:00am and woke up around 7:00am, but it wasn’t a solid sleep.

We woke the students up bright and early @ 7:00am so that we could clean up the museum and leave before it opened to the public.  But first, we awarded the students their certificates for completing the first ever AAM Summer Camp and the students received a packet of information regarding their ID cards that we handed out to them on Monday as we began this adventure so that they know what happened to the men after WWII.  Their parents arrived at 9:00am to pick them up and after we had a short de-brief session with the museum director, who thanked us for a wonderful experience, we headed back to Homerton to rest and clean up.  I however, couldn’t go back to sleep so it looks like it’ll be a short night for me tonight.  I will be eating my final dinner at Homerton tonight…yippy!  Tomorrow, we debrief as an entire group from 9:00-12:00, and then we have our goodbye banquet at 6:30pm tomorrow night.  

No comments:

Post a Comment